The shepherd’s hut – compact, simple and unassuming from the outside, yet an embodiment of magnificent design, skilled manufacturing and creative vision.
The hut has come a long way from the humble beginnings as a farmer’s place of rest in the field to the fantastic array of shepherd’s huts we have on offer today. Each hut has a uniqueness and quality to it that makes it a special place for both the owner and visitor.
A shepherd’s hut can now present itself in many different ways – a quirky but luxury holiday stay, a rustic off-grid hut, an office space for remote working, a business opportunity and, for some, a permanent home. There are many more uses of a shepherd’s hut too, making them such a versatile and useful space.
This page aims to be an informational hub for all things shepherd’s hut. From finding manufacturers who build huts from scratch to places where you can find second hand shepherd’s huts for sale and superb shepherd’s huts for you to visit as a holiday.
For the curious, you’ll also find in-depth information and blogs on the more basic aspects of a shepherd’s hut, from how much does a shepherd’s hut weigh, what different hut floor plans look like to information on planning permission, chassis, cast iron wheels and much more. You’ll even find a couple of personal reviews from my trips to shepherd huts around the UK.
I’ve split this page up into handy sections to make it easy for you to navigate around and find what you’re looking for. The table of contents looks like this:
- Shepherd’s hut basics
- Building a shepherd’s hut and the parts
- Buying a shepherd’s hut – new or second hand
- Shepherd’s hut holidays
- Using a shepherd’s hut for work and business
Shepherd’s Hut A-Z on all you need to know
If you are interested in shepherd’s huts you might want to bookmark this page as plenty more information will continue to be added here. Thank you and enjoy the shepherd’s hut information hub.
Shepherd’s Hut Basics
- What is a shepherd’s hut and what is it used for?
- Can you live in a shepherd’s hut full time?
- How heavy is a shepherd’s hut?
- How big is a shepherd’s hut?
- How tall is a shepherd’s hut?
- A short guide to off-grid huts
- The best shepherd’s hut accessories – inside and outside
Building a Shepherd’s Hut and the Shepherd’s Hut Parts
- All about shepherd’s hut planning permission
- Build your own shepherd’s hut with a self-build kit
- Defra-approved small wood burners for your shepherd’s hut
- Shepherd’s hut interior designs you’ve got to see
- Different shepherd’s hut floor plans
- All about the shepherd’s hut chassis
- Best shepherd’s hut cladding options
- Eco friendly ways to protect your timber cladding
- All about shepherd’s hut roof sheets
- How to prepare the ground for a shepherd’s hut?
- All about cast iron wheels for a shepherd’s hut
- Best eco insulation for a shepherd’s hut
- How to heat a shepherd’s hut
- All about shepherd’s hut with a bathroom
- Composting toilet in a shepherd’s hut
Buying a Shepherd’s Hut – New or Second Hand
- How much does it cost to buy a shepherd’s hut?
- Where to find second hand shepherd’s huts for sale
- Find a shepherd’s hut for sale in the UK
Shepherd’s Hut Holidays
- 9 best places to find a shepherd’s hut holiday
- Luxury shepherd’s hut holidays with a hot tub
- 21 shepherd’s hut glamping UK holidays
- Review: Benllech Shepherd’s Hut, Anglesey
- Review: Brosterfield Farm Shepherd’s Hut, Peak District
- Review: Raven’s Retreat Shepherd’s Hut, Mid-Wales
- Review: Morndyke Shepherd’s Hut, North Yorkshire
Using a Shepherd’s Hut for Work and Business
- Can a shepherd’s hut be used for a catering trailer?
- Shepherd’s hut as a home garden office
- Tips to create a dog friendly shepherd’s hut holiday stay
If there’s anything on shepherd’s huts you feel that I haven’t covered but you’d like to know about, please get in touch and let me know.
I also write about plenty of other topics on Tiny Eco Home Life. Just click on the links coming up if you’d like to read more about the environment, easy ways to go green at home or ideas on sustainable living in general. As always, my aim is to educate and provide information for you.
The environment is an important topic for me (and I’m sure many of you reading). For this reason, I try to cover my carbon footprint and improve the environment by working with Ecologi. Until I can buy some land and maintain my own forest, I’m helping to build forests around the world with Ecologi.
If you like what they do and what I do, you can make a one-off gift via my Ecologi profile to help make the world a greener place. Thanks!